Private Night Safari and Astronomy
A spectacular stargazing journey in the Dubai desert
The best way to learn about the Arabian night sky is by venturing into the desert on a private night safari, followed by an immersive astronomy session. Explore the desert after dark in your private 1950s Land Rover, followed by a nocturnal eco-walk. All while your experienced Conservation Guide tells you more about the desert nightlife.
After your nature safari you will join other guests and relax in a peaceful camp on Royal Desert Grounds, smoke flavourful shisha and savour a delicious three-course dinner featuring Emirati dishes. The evening ends perfectly when a professional astronomer takes everyone on a journey through the galaxies and tells tales about the starry sky and how the Bedouin used it to find their way.
Should you wish to extend the night, you can opt for a traditional overnight experience in authentic stone-dwelling rooms, followed by a lavish breakfast the following morning. You can also upgrade your experience with a sunrise hot air balloon ride after your overnight stay, before returning to the Heritage camp for breakfast.
Astronomy Events To Look Out For
13-14 December 2023 Geminids Meteor Shower
21-22 December 2023 Ursids Meteor Shower
3-4 January 2024 Quadrantids Meteor Shower
22-23 April Lyrids Meteor Shower
6-7 May Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower
18 September 2024 Supermoon and Partial Lunar Eclipse
17 November 2024 Supermoon
- Get picked up in a private air-conditioned vehicle from Dubai between 05:00 PM and 06:30 PM, depending on the season. We will inform you of the exact pick-up time on the afternoon of your desert safari.
- Arrive at the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve and receive your Headscarf and a Stainless Steel Water Bottle. These are included in each booking and are a gift for our guests to take home.
- Embark on a private 60-minute nature safari in a vintage Land Rover.
- Venture on a nocturnal eco-walk with torches and try to spot creatures like sandfish, scorpions etc.
- Join other guests at a torchlit, peaceful desert oasis. You will receive a warm Arabic welcoming with coffee and dates.
- Savour a delectable three-course dinner. View Menu.
- Partake in an immersive astronomy session with a professional astronomer and telescope. Please note that depending on the weather and the clouds in certain times of the year, there is a small chance the stars might not be fully visible, in which case you will enjoy an informative astronomy talk.
- Return to the hotel between 10:00 PM and 11:30 PM, depending on the season. Your total experience will last approximately five hours.
- Extend your desert experience by staying overnight in a traditional Arabic stone dwelling room. You will be provided with all the amenities like a comfortable bed, pillows, sheets and a peaceful night's sleep. Awake to a gourmet breakfast.
- Enhance the experience even more with a spectacular sunrise hot air balloon flight the next morning. The overnight Bedouin camp is located only 15 minutes away from the hot air balloon take-off site. After the flight, you will return to the camp to enjoy a delicious breakfast before returning to the city.
- A portion of your Desert Safari fee is contributed towards local conservation in Dubai.
- Pick-up from Dubai is included and will be in a private air-conditioned vehicle.
- You will have a private vehicle throughout the experience and for the nature safari, however all camp activities are shared.
- Please inform us of any dietary requirements or allergies when booking. We can accommodate vegetarian, vegan, kosher-style, gluten-free.
- As the desert can get quite warm during the day all year round, we suggest bringing a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and cool, comfortable clothes. For desert safaris in the winter (November to March), we recommend bringing something warm to wear for the evening.
- Bookings need to be made at least five hours in advance when booking online. For short-term bookings, don't hesitate to contact our reservations team at +971 4 440 9827.
- Bathroom facilities are available at the camp.
- The nature drive is not recommended for guests more than six months pregnant.
- For room allocation requests, please reach out to our Experience Consultants as rooms have different capacities and will be assigned automatically for group bookings.
- Please take into account that we are an eco-friendly desert operator and this is an immersive nature experience. Although rare, there may be some harmless insects at our desert camps. Regular pest control are conducted at our premises, however, we strive to protect the desert ecosystem as much as possible.
- If you booked a shared vehicle, we can accommodate one overnight backpack or carry-on per guest (not exceeding 50cm in height). Please leave big luggage pieces at your hotel.
- For private vehicles with bigger pieces of luggage, please contact us at +971 4 440 9827 for more information.
- Enjoy a restful sleep with no sounds or lights to interrupt as the camp's power gets switched off from 11:00 PM - 06:00 AM.
- Your room is equipped with a bed and comfortable bedding.
- Ensure to wear clothes appropriate for the weather as there are no air-conditioning or heaters in the overnight rooms.
- There are shared bathroom facilities, however no showers on-site.
Awarded For Six Consecutive Years
Plenty of 5-star TripAdvisor reviews have earned Platinum Heritage the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence and Traveller's Choice Awards, rewarding exclsuively the top 10% attractions worldwide. Find out what our guests say about us.
This tour is fabulous! From A to Z everything was handled perfectly. The desert at night is an enchanting experience and one that shouldn’t be missed when you’re visiting Dubai. Our guide, Eddie, had great attention to detail and was fully engaged throughout the entire tour. He did an excellent job of explaining the history of the land where we were, pointing out where to look for wildlife, and teaching us about the constellations and planets visible in the night sky. The food was really great as well! We never felt rushed throughout the tour and were able to truly soak up the atmosphere - don’t miss out on this experience!!
So this was a meditation..perfectly organized experience. Starting with a comfy hotel pick-up from Downtown Dubai, with as many stops as wanted to see the sunset, some animals on the way itself when approaching, followed by adventurous night desert ride and walk while observing the nightlife (incl. scorpions glowing under the ultraviolet light!!), then getting to a camp to enjoy super-dinner, fireshow & stargazing with a telescope. Never saw so many colours in a desert sky. Got so much of valuable info about the nature, nightlife and the nightsky..as a universe-lover totally appreciated. Drop-off with a night city ride back perfectly wrapped-up the eve. Eddie, thanks so much to you & the team!
Download Our Brochure
Hero Experiences Group Brochure
Browse through our range of desert safaris, as well as experiences from our partners like hot air balloon flights with Balloon Adventures Dubai and self-drive boat tours with HERO OdySea. Be spoilt for choice and plan your next adventure with this easy-to-navigate brochure.
PLAN YOUR TRIP TO DUBAI
THINGS TO DO IN DUBAI
A perfectly summarised e-book filled made to inspire the ideal Dubai itinerary covering all air, sea and land activities. Made to suit all travel styles, budgets ages and preferences.
DUBAI ETIQUETTE GUIDE
It can be daunting to visit a new country, especially one filled with so much diversity and culture. This all-encompassing guide covers everything to make a Dubai trip comfortable and memorable.